If you have a garbage disposal, you may depend on it to get rid of all your food waste. However, you may find that it has started to smell bad after long-term use. The following homemade treatment will help keep those odors at bay.
What You Will Need
Before you begin, you will need to gather the supplies listed below. You may already have them in your kitchen. If not, you can find the items in any grocery store.
- Two cups of busted up ice cubes, divided in half
- Two tablespoons of baking soda
- One tablespoon of lemon juice
- One half cup of vinegar
- Two cups of boiling water
The ice cubes will give the treatment a rough texture that will help it to scrape off any stuck-on food. They will also sharpen the blades so that your disposal is more efficient at cutting up food.
The baking soda and vinegar will clean away the sludge and absorb the odors. The foaming action caused by the combination allows it to penetrate all the smaller crevices as well for a more thorough clean.
The lemon juice will also absorb odors while giving the treatment a fresh, pleasing scent.
Now that you have your ingredients together, follow the directions below.
- Pour one cup of the ice cubes down the drain.
- Run the disposal for three seconds to break crush up the ice.
- Add the baking soda and lemon juice down the drain.
- Quickly turn the switch on and off, not allowing it to run for more than one second. This will mix up the added ingredients with the ice.
- Pour the vinegar down the drain and place the stopper in the sink.
- Let the treatment sit for a half an hour. This will give the vinegar and baking soda time to soak into any food residue, as well as neutralize the odors.
- Add the remaining cup of ice cubes.
- Run the disposal for 15 seconds, or until you no longer hear the ice breaking up.
- Carefully and slowly pour the boiling water into the drain.
- Wait an additional 15 minutes, then run warm tap water down the drain for one minute to fully rinse.
Doing the above treatment every week will keep the smells from overtaking your garbage disposal. However, if you think the odors are caused by a problem with the appliance, you may want to have a professional look at it.
If you find that the smelly food odors don’t go away after you’ve tried this treatment, it might be that there are other issues with the trash in your kitchen. Make sure you hire regular services from a company like B-P Trucking Inc to get all household waste properly disposed of.