Have you ever planted a fruit tree only to find that it is not providing the amount of fruit that you want? Perhaps there is fruit on the tree but they are small and not growing as large as you would like. Fruit trees are very delicate and need to be taken care of very precisely so that you can get the biggest fruit possible and the most fruit possible.
One of the best ways to take care of your tree, to enable it to yield the best fruit possible, is through very detailed pruning techniques. By using these techniques, you will find that your fruit will be much larger and yield a lot more fruit.
- Correct timing and choosing the right branches. When pruning a fruit tree, you want to make sure that you do it before the spring and before any growth spurts start to occur. You will want to target damaged or weak branches. As you thin the tree canopy by targeting these specific branches, you will ensure that more energy and nutrients are being concentrated to other areas of the tree. This will provide more luscious fruit because of the extra nutrients that are not going to these damaged or weak branches.
- Cut correctly. You will want to avoid tearing or ripping the bark off of the tree. When this occurs, the tree is more exposed to the elements and to disease. This can prevent your fruit from growing big, and it can even kill the tree. You need to make sure that you are using the 3 cut process:
- Make a cut on the underside of the branch that is a few inches away from the trunk of the tree. This will help prevent the bark from tearing after the branch falls.
- You will want to remove the weight of the branch by cutting just above the first cut. The branch will fall until it reaches the first cut where it will make a clean break instead of tearing the bark.
- Cut off the remaining part of the branch stub. You will want to make sure that you don’t cut too deep as this will damage the trunk of the tree and prevent the fruit from growing properly.
By abiding by these 2 simple pruning techniques, you will make sure that the tree stays healthy and that the fruit is going to grow big and that there will be lots of it. Talk to your local tree experts such as Dario Tree Trimming for more advice.